Are you a digital nomad?
Yes, I am. I always work in cafe or coworking space in Makati. So the battery life of my laptop is always mattered. As I used my new Macbook for several months, the battery life of it eventually became shorter.
I tried some common techniques such as killing unnecessary startup applications. But I couldn’t be satisfied with it. Because some processes and daemons were always consuming CPU usage like 0.2% each. Especially, Core Sync and Adobe desktop service by Adobe Creative Cloud were the top battery drainage.
So that I tried reseting kernel panic and some controller information. And then, although I didn’t have much confidence, it solved the problem on my Macbook.
Here are the steps how.
- Shut down your Mac.
- Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R.
- Turn on your Mac.
- Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
- Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
- Release the keys.
* Source: How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac
Resetting the SMC
- Shut down the computer.
- Plug in the MagSafe or USB-C power adapter to a power source and to your computer.
- On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
- Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
- Press the power button to turn on the computer.
*Source: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac
*For Mac notebooks with removable battery, see the source.
I hope it help your nomad life. Please let me know if you find any other good tricks to make battery life longer.